ELECTION WATCH 20/2018
9th June 2018
Nomination of Candidates 2
Election Watch 19/2018 [“Nomination of Candidates 1”] [link] outlined the nomination procedures for:
- the Presidential election
- the elections for the 210 constituency seats in the National Assembly
- the local authority council elections.
[Nomination Day for the above is on 14th June. All these positions are elected directly by registered voters voting on 30th July.]
This bulletin outlines the different procedures for nominating candidates for the other positions to be filled as part of the harmonised elections process.
Party List/Proportional Representation Seats
Nomination Day for Party Lists is the 14th June 2018
The Constitution provides for the following seats to be filled by persons elected under a party-list system of proportional representation: [They are elected indirectly by registered voters voting on 30th July] :
- in the Senate  6 seats for each province, equally divided between women and men [sections 120]
- for women in the National Assembly  - 6 seats for each province [section 124]
- in provincial councils [10 seats on each of the 8 provincial councils] [section 268]
A party will not be permitted to nominate party-list candidates for a particular province unless it also has one or more candidates standing in that province for National Assembly constituency seats.